Monday, September 25, 2006

~Autumn Scents~

One thing I love about fall is the coziness of the scents we use. Now is the time many homemakers pull out their fall-scented candles, and begin to bake more. The summer heat is over (unless, of course, you happen to live in a hot climate), and baking no longer kicks the air on.

Yesterday afternoon I baked an apple pie. Oh, it smelled (and tasted!) so delicious! I still have many apples to use up, and I figured I would test my skills on a pie. I have only made a few pies over the six years I've been married.

I used Smart Balance shortening instead of regular shortening, and the crust turned out very nicely. Smart Balance is turning out more and more heart-healthy products these days. We've used their "buttery spread" for years now. (I'm done with my little un-paid-for plug for Smart Balance products. *Grin*) My husband was so impressed with how the pie looked that he took a picture.

What are some things you use apples for? I have some semi-tart apples that I'd like to get used up pretty soon here, because I want to buy more apples in a different variety! I'd like to make a batch of apple butter, and some pie filling as well.

Ahhh...apples and cinnamon and nutmeg...such delicious scents! What are some other scents you associate with fall time?

For other fall-related posts, visit TheHomeCast.

15 comments:

Leigh said...

That pie sounds wonderful! Do you have a recipe you could share? I made an apple pie last year, but it turned out too dry.

Have a great day!
Leigh

Anonymous said...

Oooo...I love making applesauce! Tart apples are especially good for this! Just peel, core, and cut up your apples, and put them in a big pot with enough water to cover the bottom. Then just turn it on medium-low and let it cook away, covered. It usually takes a few hours to do this, depending on how many apples you do. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon, nutmeg, and if they are really tart, you may want to add just a little bit of sugar or honey.

It will make your whole house smell delicious! And it won't stick around for long. :o)

theups said...

Ooh!! I LOVE the smells of fall!! Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, the smell of soups simmering on the stove, outdoor fires burning off all the new-fallen leaves. LOVE IT ALL!!

Oh, and thanks for mentioning the Smart Balance shortening!! I didn't know such a thing existed!! I'll have to give it a try!!!

His,
Mrs. U

tkrimms said...

I use Smart Balance, as I have high cholesteral. I buy the one with flax seed oil in it (I also take flax seed pills).

We have been burning our Cedar Patchuli (sp?) candles from Partylite :)

rachel said...

Even with all of the many candles, plug-in scented devices, and scented sprays, my favorite remains the same: REAL cinnamon sticks, basil leaves, and whole cloves simmering on top of our piping hot wood stove!

Emma said...

Recently I stewed some apples with brown sugar and cinnamon, then put them in an oven proof dish, poured a made up packet cake mix on top and baked the lot. It was very popular in our house!

I can't even imagine what autumn / fall is like. Here it is spring, but both autumn and spring are brief moments of gorgeous weather between the hot and the cool.

Joyce's Ramblings said...

Chili on the stove and crackers with butter on the table ready for that bowl of chili. A mug of cider.
One year a friend and I went up into the UP of Michigan and we bought apple cider that was made that very day. YUM YUM

janet copenhaver said...

Yum apple pie! What kind of apples did you use for your pie?

Nettie said...

I've been craving apple pie! When I lived closer to my parents orchard I used to can quart after quart of applesauce every fall. Mmmmmmm!

Kelli said...

Your pie is beautiful and looks so yummy!
I love the smell of pumpkin, cloves and gingerbread!
Kelli

Tammy said...

Oh, I forgot to say, I used Spartan apples. They were grown locally. They did really well in the pie, and also I fried them for breakfast one morning. I wasn't as impressed with them as an applesauce though. I still have quite a few more to use up!

Oh, and the pie recipe was just the basic pie recipe out of my Betty Crocker cookbook.

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

That is a BEAUTIFUL pie! :)

Cindi said...

I make an apple crisp that is easy and my family loves. I will try to remember to send you the recipe. I also make a lot of just plain cooked apples to eat with our meals. I just peel and slice the apples then boil them with a little water, sweetner, and cinnamon. We eat a lot of apples here. My Momma was raised on an apple orchard and we live near lots of them.

Another favorite is pumpkin! Pumpkin pie, pumpkin roll, pumpkin muffins!

Arlene said...

Ooooh, yummy! A beautiful pie, Tammy!

Mishel said...

Tammy...your pie is beautiful and looks so yummy!