Monday, September 11, 2006

~I remember 9-11-01~

I've debated about whether or not to write about this topic, as I don't really have anything stunning to say. But, I thought I'd go ahead and share...

I was sitting in the living room, waiting for my two sisters to get ready to go. I had just said “good-bye” to my husband. Our church’s annual Pastor’s and Workers Conference was in progress, and I had taken work off so that I could attend. My two sisters were staying with us so that they could go as well.

My husband called shortly after he left, telling me what had happened. It was around 7:30 a.m., but because we were in California, both crashes had taken place already. My husband told me what had happened. I asked him several times to make sure I had gotten it right. Stunned, I called my sisters into the living room, and we sat down and prayed for America, for the people affected by this awful deed.

We made our way to the church for the conference. With so many people in the auditorium (I’m going to take a guess and say over 400 people) it was quiet. Very quiet. Those who hadn’t heard beforehand, heard from others.

The morning sessions were different than had been planned. It was a very somber morning.

In the afternoon, my two sisters and I went shopping. It was a special treat to have them visiting me, and we still wanted to spend the time together. The mall we went to was deserted. Stores were closed. The stores that were open were pretty much empty--both of shoppers and workers. We didn’t end up spending much time there.

We lived close to the San Jose airport, and were used to the constant air traffic overhead. It was eerie to have absolutely no planes flying overhead.

At the time, we didn’t have a television. I have never seen footage from 9-11, just pictures. While I didn’t know anyone who was killed on that day, or anyone who knew someone, it was a day I’ll never forget.

I think what I remember most from that day just five years ago is quiet. Less cars on the road. No planes in the air. People, just sitting. Quiet. And sadness. A profound sadness.

Today, I pray for the people who are still mourning the loss of their loved ones, and for our country.

God bless America!

For other's stories, visit Shannon here.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Remembering with you, Tammy.

Hugs,
Jenn

tkrimms said...

September 11 I was on my way to work after school and could not figure out what was going on when I turned on the radio. I called work to see.

I ended up at my sister-in-law's house and we spent the day together. Now, every September 11 we call each other and remember the day, telling each other we love each other and in our own way, the day has a special place in our hearts for bringing us closer.

I had an aunt that lived in New York, and we struggled that day to try and get a hold of her. We finally did the next day. She didn't work in the Towers, but drives right past on the way to work. She could see everything from her apartment. She has since moved to Colordo.

It's a day to remember our freedoms and those still serving overseas. One to be thankful.

Lynn said...

You are the first person I have read today that found the silence the biggest thing.

Everyone touched upon it, but we who are way too TV prone did not have silence that day. We had a drone of news, renews, renews.
You had a much purer perspective.

I certainly dont think it was bad that you didn't see that horror over and over again that day.


My remember is up

Tammy said...

I think it is amazing to read everyone's story. And you may have been very blessed indeed NOT to have had a television.
I wrote about my experience...I actually happened to see one of the towers fall...Live. Plus, I was pregnant...the world certainly felt like a scary place for me that week.

It's good for all of us to write out our own experiences to hand down to family and our children. Thank you for sharing this.

Nikki said...

I was in KY waiting for our passports so we could join my husband in Germany! We flew over there on the 25th!! I felt safe though, to me, it was more safe then than it was before!