Friday, September 01, 2006

~Telephone Etiquette~

If you're a telemarketer, don't read any further. *Grin*

I'm telling you, telemarketers can be the rudest people on the phone! At work, I'm constantly getting calls from people who want to talk to the "Person in charge of making financial decisions" or the "Person in charge of making _____ decisions". I get these calls nearly every day. Sometimes, by carefully wording my response to the questions, I can tell them we're happy with the services we have and to please put us on their no call back list.

However, that's very rare, because telemarketers are also very persistent. They don't take "no" for an answer. That's when they get rude. I'm not rude back, but I do make myself clear. They say obnoxious things to me, and then they call back the next day. Now listen, I may not make the financial decisions around here, but I do make the decision on what calls get transferred! Being rude is not going to get them anywhere!

Grrr...

Thankfully, we have our home phone listed on the national do not call registry, so we very rarely get phone calls. That's nice. It's also nice that at home I happen to be one of the financial decision makers so most of the time I can tell them to stop calling. I said most because every great once in a while, they will insist that the only person that can make the decision is my husband. Whatever. Like he's going to get upset that I turned down yet another credit card offer?

And my final complaint for the day? Don't call me "Baby". Yup, that's right. Today I called in a technical service call and the woman who transferred my call called me "Baby". I said, (in a not-so-kind voice, I admit), "EXCUSE me?" She changed it to "Dear". Still not professional, but slightly better than "Baby."

Ah, well...I do respect the fact that telemarketers are just trying to make their living. But, please, please, can't you just stop calling me???

7 comments:

Joyce's Ramblings said...

At home I make the decisions and if they are polite I state I do not give to any one that calls me. If they are not polite I hang up. The phone is for my needs and uses and I pay the bill so I may not even answer if caller ID shows me nothing or something I don't like.

Sandi said...

Ok I can really get into this subject. Yes they are just doing their job. For years I would listen to them go through their speech. I wanted to be nice. But frankly I don't feel like being nice. We are also on the Nat. Do Not Call List. Not only my home phone, but I put our cell phones and my work number on it. Yet at work we still get the calls. When I start getting repeat calls, I tell them, Please hold, and then hang up on them. It feels so good. And I am constantly getting calls for the former owner who died 4 years ago. My boss told me to tell them he is dead. So I do, and they get all flustered. It's kinda funny.

Joyce's Ramblings said...

If their foot isn't in the door close it. If they try to keep the door open you tell them to leave and if they don't you call the police. You can be your sweet self but be firm.

tkrimms said...

I get "dear" all the time and it irritates me to no end. I chalk it up to the generation calling.

CallaLilly said...

Caller: May I speak to the lady of the house?

Me: There's no one here by that name. *click*

cherylharrell (Mrs Harrell) said...

I get them too & am so frustrated with them. I got them really bad before getting on the do not call list. I still get some tho esp trying to drum up money for political campains or the police or surveys or the man/or woman of the house. People call & ask for ya by first name as if it is important & they turn out to be a telemarketer. At least I don't get them on my cell phone. It is so annoying. My hubby got a call by a breather yesterday. It's Sunday. Have they no shame. Sigh...

One Sunday morning one called while we were getting read to go to church & Mike told them "It's Sunday & you ought to be in church". LOL...

Bethanie said...

I'm a church secretary three hours a day 5 days a week. I get calls all the time asking for the person who makes the decisions. Right now we are without a pastor, so I tell them simply that we don't have one and hang up.
My favorite is when they say, "Honey is there an adult close that I can talk to". I have a really small voice.