Saturday, September 02, 2006

~Bye, bye day lilies~

Two years ago, I didn't even know what a day lily was. But when I was introduced to them, it was instant for me. I didn't like them at all. Not a bit. Nothing about them.

So when we were looking at our house before we bought it, and I discovered that there were day lilies in the side bed, it was almost enough to be a deal breaker. Well, not really. But I knew they wouldn't stay there for long.

They ended up staying in longer than I thought I'd tolerate them. But today, they are officially gone. Nada. Zip. Well, I'll probably discover some next spring. But I can take care of them swiftly.

Oddly enough, I've seen pictures of day lilies that I actually like. There are many different varieties, and some of them are actually pretty. I won't be planting them though. The orange variety is a very common ground cover in our area. I don't understand it one bit. But, everyone has their preferences!

10 comments:

ADasa said...

Just stumbled upon your Blog & can't wait to read...whoo-hoo! Looks good! Dawn

deb said...

I had a coupon for one free daylily from the famous Andre Viette's Garden Center locally. I could hardly wait to go pick it up. But then the August 31 deadline came and went and I forgot to go over and pick mine out. Sad.

Maybe you can find something you really like to replace the ones you dug up. If only I'd been there to benefit from your dislike of them. :)

Susan said...

You probably won't be surprised to find out that I love day lilies! LOL But I understand . . . when you want something gone - you want it gone!

I have a huge fern that I would love to see gone from my back yard, but when I tried to dig it up, I dug and dug and never did find the bottom of that thing. A friend told us later that those particular ferns are native to the area, and they are pert near impossible to get rid of!

Jenn said...

I love the Red and orange lilies best!! I don't know what the difference is between a daylily and a regular lily....LOL, we just call them lilies in the Northeast! :) They are so bright and brilliant, what a spectacular show they give off in the sunlight!! WOO HOO. I also like dainty flowers, too, like in your flower bed. We have two spiral bushes in the front of our house, and a couple bunches of red and orange lilies, a rose of sharon...and some other type bush I haven't pinpointed yet....hehe
I'll have to find a picture so you can see soon. Although in the picture, the lilies didn't evem break ground yet, all you can see are the bushes.

Dawn said...

I have daylilies banking three sides of our garage and one section of the house...why??? Because they were free..and when I was planting them, we had very little money for things like flowers banking the sides of a large garage. You know..5 kids..etc. I find myself moving them around and poking them in the bare places..Initially, I was not a huge fan of them, but now have come to appreciate them. I love the special yellow ones..they are yummy!

Kelli said...

Ok, I'll confess to not being a fan of orange day lilies either.
Are you going to plant some new bulbs in the spot?
Kelli

Amy said...

Ha ha! I suppose we all have our flower quirks. For the longest time I've hated petunias, though I do like the trailing ones I've seen in hanging baskets the last few years.

I love daylillies though, lol!

Kim said...

Oh, I can't be friends with anyone who doesn't like day lilies. ;D

theups said...

OOOHHH TAMMMY!!! I LOVE daylilles!! All kinds of them!! What did you do with them??

His,
Mrs. U

Tammy said...

This is too funny. Those of you that like them will be disheartened to know that they are residing at the dump!