Monday, August 28, 2006

~Christmas: just around the corner!~

As of last Friday, there are four months till Christmas! Do you have any gifts stashed away? I don’t! I need to get busy!

I’m going to share what I’ve done in past Christmases. I’m hoping it will give me some ideas for this coming year, and maybe it will give you some ideas as well!

One year, I made doll clothes for my three little sisters. They had 18” dolls. I was either 14 or 15. My mom found a simple pattern for me, and I used scrap fabric for everything. Each doll got a little ensemble that was packed into a diaper bag.

A few years after the doll-clothes, I made actual dolls and a set of doll clothes for the dolls. These dollies were about 8” high, and I used teeny-tiny rick-rack and lace for embellishments on their clothing. This was a terribly fun project.

Another year I took the approach of making the presents right in front of everyone. I made a doily for each of the girls. It was something I did in the evenings for several months before Christmas. Since I was always crocheting anyhow, nobody suspected that they would be getting them for Christmas.

After I was married, I made aprons one year for gifts. That was also terribly fun. Well, except that I had to make four in the week before Christmas. The joys of procrastinating! *Grun*

Another year, I decided that I was going to buy expensive presents that had been marked down to incredibly low prices. I carefully kept a spread sheet detailing the actual cost versus the original cost. I save bundles of money that year, and got everyone super nice presents. I did my shopping all year long, starting in January.

The last several years haven’t been as well planned. In January I had the thought of making a pair of socks for everyone. But when I thought of the number of giftees times two, I didn’t have the motivation to make that many socks!

So this brings me to this year. Of course, since my family reads my blog, I can’t share what I’m doing for gifts this year. Another reason I can’t share is that I don’t have a plan yet! I want to have a plan in place soon, so that I can get busy. If your family doesn’t read my blog, feel free to leave ideas of what you are doing/planning on doing for this year’s gifts! It may just give me and others some ideas!

12 comments:

Kristi said...

I was just thinking about how close Christmas is. It seems like a long way away, but it really is not.

I had decided to post some Christmas gift giving ideas so maybe we can get some from each other this year! :)

~Kristi

Laura said...

Hi Tammy! Thanks for visiting my site. I have your site bookmarked. I really like your header. The street looks so warm and welcoming. Is that really your street? Very original. Ahh and yes, Christmas. I've just created a new space in my study for Christmas presents so I can start buying things as they come on sale. Just not crafty enough to think about making gifts but admire those that do. Laura

Emma said...

Eeek! Christmas! I have been thinking about it. I am planning on crocheting little drawstring evening bags for my neices and putting in a hanky, lip balm, etc. The boys I am finding a bit harder ... maybe appliqued book bags? The grown ups will probably get book vouchers at this stage!

Emma

TheNormalMiddle said...

OHHHH LA LA LA LA!!! I am not listening to you!!!! Please don't tell me how close Christmas is! I am sooooo not even ready to even think about it :)

I thought about how many paychecks are left til Christmas, I need to get crackin!

Christine said...

Hi Tammy! I cannot believe that Christmas is that close. On my husband's side of the family, we all pick names. We don't choose names until Thanksgiving (which is a bit late for my liking).Right now, I am embroidering a flour sack towel for my sister in law's birthday next month.

Annecourager said...

I'll be eBaying. Yep.

I am not a good shopper, so I try to do most of my stuff online, and I try to have it done by Thanksgiving. I usually wait for "guidance" before doing much purchasing (IOW, Penny gives me a list, Mom O gives me a list, the NY Olivers give me a list, etc.)

And I usually can some hot fudge sauce to give as Christmas gifts. Tastes like Sander's Fudge, but better because it's home made :) That's about the only crafty thing I can do, is home-canning. So much tastier!

ampraisingHim said...

Not ready to think about Christmas, with a move this summer(finding a new school,getting him enrolled, etc), and school starting next week, those things come first. LOL

Jennwith4 said...

Christmas? Good luck, Tammy! I have thought of it briefly in passing but never any serious thought yet. But with only four months to go I had better get going.

tkrimms said...

My family just keeps growing, and it is getting too expensive. I have decided this year to do gift baskets for each family, themed, like "Movie Night" or "A Day at the Zoo". I think that will be fun, and give them family things to do together!

Tammy said...

I like all the ideas so far! I think e-baying is a creative way to buy gifts! Tracie, the gift basket idea for each family is a wonderful idea!

Larua, yes, that is my street in the header. :)

cherylharrell (Mrs Harrell) said...

I've already gotten some of my shopping done. We recently went on our 2 weeks or so trip to visit hubbys sister & her family in Ohio. They have some neat stores there that we don't have like a Pennys Outlet and on the way up & back are some neat stores there that we don't have in some of the towns along the way. I found some neat sutff for Mike & ny folks so I already got some of their shopping done. I'll do more on our annual trip to a reunion in the hillbilly area of KY Mikes from that we will be going to in Oct. People laugh cuz I start so early but I find neat stuff in OHio & WVA that you don't see here... :)

cherylharrell (Mrs Harrell) said...

I've already gotten some of my shopping done. We recently went on our 2 weeks or so trip to visit hubbys sister & her family in Ohio. They have some neat stores there that we don't have like a Pennys Outlet and on the way up & back are some neat stores there that we don't have in some of the towns along the way. I found some neat sutff for Mike & ny folks so I already got some of their shopping done. I'll do more on our annual trip to a reunion in the hillbilly area of KY Mikes from that we will be going to in Oct. People laugh cuz I start so early but I find neat stuff in OHio & WVA that you don't see here... :)hjz