Thursday, August 24, 2006

~Finding Clothes...that fit~

Last Saturday I went shopping at Kohl's. I had a great coupon, and they had a great sale, so everything should have been fine and dandy. But not really, because I walked into the dressing room with a cart full of clothes, and yet everything was "TOO". Too tight, too loose, too big, too small, sleeves too long, sleeves too short.

I could make my own clothes, but by the time I buy pattern, fabric, and notions, I could have bought three of whatever I'm making from a store. Oh, and when it comes out "TOO", it's enough for me to yank all my hair out and become a lunatic. Well, maybe not that drastic...but I think you get the picture.

I used to do alterations for a lady. I am convinced she went shopping with me in mind. Instead of trying to find things that fit her, she found things that didn't fit her, and invented a way for me to alter them. So maybe I should do alterations on my own purchases. Now that's a novel idea...

So what do you think? Do you think I like to shop? Nope, not me! How about you?

Image from allposters.com

8 comments:

Cherish the Home said...

Nothing fits me right either! I have to buy the size that fits the largest part of me and then have the rest tailored/altered.

That's also why I wear more skirts/tops instead of dresses because I'm not as big in the shoulders as I am in the hips.

It is quite frustrating!

Annecourager said...

Ugh, that was me on Tuesday at Ross Dress For Less. I tried on 17 different things before I found something that was just "OK."
It was vy. annoying. I like your description of "TOO." Suits my experience the other day to a T. Too loose, too floppy, too long, too tight in all the wrong places, too see-thru, too, too too~!

I hate to shop!

Arlene said...

I love to shop... I just hate clothes shopping because, as everyone knows, NOTHING FITS! At least you know how to sew so you can alter things yourself. It costs too much around here so I either use 736 safety pins to hold my skirt up (okay, maybe not that many), or I just don't buy it, LOL! I buy mostly skirts and tops to match, because those have a better chance of fitting than a dress (at least for me).

Sew Chic said...

You said, "I could make my own clothes, but by the time I buy pattern, fabric, and notions, I could have bought three of whatever I'm making from a store."

Tammy, but if you made your own, you'd have something that fit...something that wasn't "too."

I sew for the enjoyment of sewing plus that fact that I can make garments that fit and are the right style for me, not because it saves me money (it doesn't).

Just another perspective.
Ruth

Denial Renae said...

I too have difficulty in finding clotehs that fit. My hips and rear are so much wider than the rest of me! lol.. I have a stack of clothes, (mainly jackets) that need to be altered so that I can wear them and not look funny! Maybe I should have that done soon....hmm.....

Christine said...

I used to enjoy clothes shopping, but because of the latest styles, it has become a chore. I enjoy shopping for books and pretty things.

Cindi said...

I do not like to shop. I do not really like to alter, but since that's a job I do on the side I will do it for others. I prefer to make my own clothes. I prefer it because I can make sure I have the style I like, in the colors I want, with the fit I need.

Unknown said...

I purchase my clothes online at Eddie Bauer.com. I've been shopping with them for almost 8 years and have only had to return one item. Everything fits perfectly.