Thursday, August 24, 2006

~Finding Clothes...that fit~

Last Saturday I went shopping at Kohl's. I had a great coupon, and they had a great sale, so everything should have been fine and dandy. But not really, because I walked into the dressing room with a cart full of clothes, and yet everything was "TOO". Too tight, too loose, too big, too small, sleeves too long, sleeves too short.

I could make my own clothes, but by the time I buy pattern, fabric, and notions, I could have bought three of whatever I'm making from a store. Oh, and when it comes out "TOO", it's enough for me to yank all my hair out and become a lunatic. Well, maybe not that drastic...but I think you get the picture.

I used to do alterations for a lady. I am convinced she went shopping with me in mind. Instead of trying to find things that fit her, she found things that didn't fit her, and invented a way for me to alter them. So maybe I should do alterations on my own purchases. Now that's a novel idea...

So what do you think? Do you think I like to shop? Nope, not me! How about you?

Image from allposters.com

9 comments:

Mrs.B. said...

Nothing fits me right either! I have to buy the size that fits the largest part of me and then have the rest tailored/altered.

That's also why I wear more skirts/tops instead of dresses because I'm not as big in the shoulders as I am in the hips.

It is quite frustrating!

annecourager said...

Ugh, that was me on Tuesday at Ross Dress For Less. I tried on 17 different things before I found something that was just "OK."
It was vy. annoying. I like your description of "TOO." Suits my experience the other day to a T. Too loose, too floppy, too long, too tight in all the wrong places, too see-thru, too, too too~!

I hate to shop!

Arlene said...

I love to shop... I just hate clothes shopping because, as everyone knows, NOTHING FITS! At least you know how to sew so you can alter things yourself. It costs too much around here so I either use 736 safety pins to hold my skirt up (okay, maybe not that many), or I just don't buy it, LOL! I buy mostly skirts and tops to match, because those have a better chance of fitting than a dress (at least for me).

Elly said...

Well! Let me say that in my mid-40's...my shape demands clothing to fit 'attractively' on me...not..."hmmm"!!LOL. And this, for a christian woman, who wants modesty and lives in a New York borough...can be a challenge. If it's worth anything, the clothing is geared to hit the demographic of body-conscious individuals. I've seen your pics and you look great!! But...the general 'market' is not the modest christian woman. Hope you have better yield the next time! Elly

SewChic said...

You said, "I could make my own clothes, but by the time I buy pattern, fabric, and notions, I could have bought three of whatever I'm making from a store."

Tammy, but if you made your own, you'd have something that fit...something that wasn't "too."

I sew for the enjoyment of sewing plus that fact that I can make garments that fit and are the right style for me, not because it saves me money (it doesn't).

Just another perspective.
Ruth

Denial Renae said...

I too have difficulty in finding clotehs that fit. My hips and rear are so much wider than the rest of me! lol.. I have a stack of clothes, (mainly jackets) that need to be altered so that I can wear them and not look funny! Maybe I should have that done soon....hmm.....

Christine said...

I used to enjoy clothes shopping, but because of the latest styles, it has become a chore. I enjoy shopping for books and pretty things.

Cindi said...

I do not like to shop. I do not really like to alter, but since that's a job I do on the side I will do it for others. I prefer to make my own clothes. I prefer it because I can make sure I have the style I like, in the colors I want, with the fit I need.

Rona's Home Page said...

I purchase my clothes online at Eddie Bauer.com. I've been shopping with them for almost 8 years and have only had to return one item. Everything fits perfectly.