Monday, August 07, 2006

My pick for tonight...

I asked for suggestions on what YOU would like me to blog about--Not because I couldn't think of anything to say! I don't tend to run out of ideas for posting! I just thought it would be a fun change of pace.

One suggestion given was to tell something about growing up in a homeschool family.

And so, I give you:

RUSTY NAILS

My mom, sisters, brother, and I used to sit around the table, usually at lunch time, but sometimes dinner, and make up names for people. They were names that could feasibly be real names. We would sit and make up names, and laugh and laugh and laugh together. One of those names was "Rusty Nails". Some others? Bobby Pins, Fanny Pack, Ima Pig; oh, my mind is drawing a blank right now. We had a whole long list of names.

The object was not to make fun of real people. That wouldn't be nice at all! :D

We were having a good time together. Yeah, we kids fought and argued. What humans, when brought to live together, do NOT argue at some point in their lives? But you know what? When I look back at my years with my family, I remember with fondness how much laughing we did together. We laughed over the silliest things. Someone could say one syllable of a word, or say a word in a particular way, and our whole family would burst out laughing. Of course, others may have thought we were looney...

It is vitally important for families to spend time having fun together. My parents never did the Disneyland thing. (A side note: when my husband and I went to Disneyland a few years ago, I saw many, MANY kids crying everywhere we went! You can't buy happiness for your kids!) But we could have a blast together! I remember running through the yard with hoses/buckets/water balloons/watering cans/anything that could hold, water having a giant water fight. Now, that's the fun stuff! (Yes, our neighbors all stared as they drove by!)

I guess this post hasn't really been about homeschooling, but it is a lesson that I learned, all the same. My husband and I laugh together over our own set of jokes. We were both laughing quite hard over something just this evening. My husband tells me I'm "fun to be with." Lesson well learned!

10 comments:

Arlene said...

I agree with your husband, even though we've never met, LOL! I guess I should change that to "you're fun to read" ??? :o)

Cherish the Home said...

Great post Tammy! I really liked it a lot.

And I think it had a lot to do with being homeschooled because one of the benefits of homeschooling is that families get to spend a lot of time together and grow close and have lots of fun.

Amy said...

There's just nothing like having a good laugh together! By the way, I went to school with a boy whose parents named him....Dusty Rhodes, lol! Poor guy!

Joyce's Ramblings said...

Remember laughter is the grease that gets you thru the tight spots.

Joyce's Ramblings said...

gnuzdwThere was a wrestler years ago also called Dusty Rhodes. I saw him on television.

theups said...

Oh I love this post!! I love hearing about happy family memories!! Mr. U is a pastor so I get to do lots of counseling with him and I hear sooooooo many horrile family stories!! I'm very happy to hear a wonderully encouraging family story!!

Thank you for sharing!

His,
Mrs. U

Courtney, Jer.33:3 said...

My family has a lot of "inside" jokes as well. If people were to hear us talk sometime, they would be thinkin, " What in the world? ". LOL!! Our "jokes" probably just sounds like word coding to them. :)

Anonymous said...

My husband had a friend that would tell people that his name was Ned Needleleader. I don't know why, but this always makes me laugh.

Roberta said...

Fabulous post Tammy! I agree that being home as a family is such a blessing...the book learnin' can be added into it, but the books are not the foundation. As a homeschooling mom of 4, and having grown up an only latch-key kid, I really enjoy being with my children in this journey and watching their love for each other, like today when 9yo ds cheered on 5 yo dd as she learned to ride a 2 wheeler.
Our neighbors think we're *weird* too! :)

I remember "Rusty Nails" the clown coming to visit our church when I was a little girl...LOL

and Mrs. R~ has that friend watched 'The Three Amigos'? Martin Short plays Ned Needleander.

Jennwith4 said...

How sweet, Tammy!