Friday, August 04, 2006

Is THAT good for you? A look at creamer

I normally don't post about "health food". However, food is an important part of our daily lives! It is vital to know what is going into our bodies! I wrote this post almost two months ago.

I had gotten into the habit of drinking coffee and tea with creamer and I realized after several months that I was feeling quite dull, headachy, and listless during the day. I started to wonder why I was feeling this way, and then I looked at the ingredient list on the creamer container!

Here are the ingredients in non-dairy creamer (just plain, no "special" flavors)
Corn syrup solids
Vegetable oil (partially hydrogenated coconut or palm kernel, canola, hydrogenated palm, soybean, cottonseed or safflower)
Sodium caseinate (a milk derivative)
Dipotassium phosphate (moderates coffee acidity)
Sodium aluminosilicate
Mono- and diglycerides (prevents oil separation)
Artificial flavor
Annatto color


There are only 10 caleries per serving, but the flavored varieties have many more ingredients and the caleries jump to 60 per serving.

The last time I visited our local health food store, I looked for a healthier alternative. I found powdered cream.

Ingredients:
Fat free dry milk
Vitamins A & D


There are only 7 caleries per serving.

Which sounds more appetizing to you? I made the switch from "fake" to "real" a few weeks ago, and I feel more alive and alert during the day!

Note: I've looked at the grocery store, and the only healthy alternative available is cream (liquid, in the refrigerator section). I don't wish to buy cream each week, so the powdered cream works the best for me!

And another note: Most of the time "fake" costs way less than "real". And yet, "real" is so much better for you that it's worth the extra cost. I noticed an immediate change in how I felt when I switched creamers!

13 comments:

Jennwith4 said...

Wow, I never thought about what's in my creamer! I only use it in tea but I'll check up on the natural one you found. Thanks!!

Cherish the Home said...

I don't usually drink coffee or use creamer but thanks for letting all of us know!

You're right, real is always better than fake!

Christine said...

Coffee sure is delicious with a creamer... but that is definitely a scary list of ingredients. I shall have to try the good stuff.Like vitamins, sometimes paying more for the "real thing" is worth it. Thanks, Tammy.

Anonymous said...

You know I was thinking about this today. I won't buy these reduced fat, reduced sugar items because of all the additives, sweetners and extra salt they use to replace the taste. Eat REAL food and eat it in moderation, the secret of good health! (wise words from my Nan there who's 87 and still going strong). Lol, I'd rather eat the sugar and fat that God created, than the version man created to replace it.

Great post Tammy. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how something as "small" as coffee creamer can affect our body in such a big way. I'm glad you discovered a difference in the two so now others can switch to the "real thing"...LOL!! I'm glad you are doing better since you switched.

Melissa said...

Tammy, the liquid creamer (we buy the "half and half" or 10%mf) lasts for weeks. You will use the whole container before it goes bad.

Joyce's Ramblings said...

You have discovered why I drink my coffee black with nothing. Probably no value either but I like it and soda or pop don't thrill me.

Roberta said...

Kinda scarey what they call "food" isn't it? I like *real* cream. A drip or two of heavy whipping cream makes my coffee or tea so creamy and yummy, I thinks it's worth it. Although I don't drink tea or coffee daily...more-so in the winter.

Arlene said...

I agree, Tammy! The real stuff is always so much better for you than the fake stuff. And, as Mrs. Blythe said, eating the real stuff in moderation is the key to good health... it's so much better for us, and I don't know why others would rather eat the fake stuff!!!

Jennwith4 said...

A friend of mine told me that you can light creamer on fire just by putting a match to it! I haven't tried it myself but why would I want to eat something flammable like that?!

Annecourager said...

ooh, that sounds like a cool thing to try, jennifer! :) lol

This is where we are in our home now: no artificial flavors, no preservatives, and no colors.

Plus a few other things too, but that's the spine of it right there.

Andy gets to be the exception to the rule. lol

Dawn said...

Interesting post, Tammy...
I don't use anything in my coffee..sort of a family tradition in the "E" family (I didn't drink coffee till I married my DH)..but lately I am cutting back on the coffee and drinking more water..
Anyway..I will keep this in mind.

Susan said...

I got in the habit of making "lattes" at camp this week. I put half a coffee cup of milk, warmed in the microwave, with the other half cup of coffee, then added sweetener (which is artificial, since I'm diabetic). It was delicious! Now I want to make them at home! I made the lattes because the coffee was too strong for me, but I still wanted a hot drink in the morning.