Friday, July 14, 2006

A Film for Friday: Sarah, Plain and Tall

Sarah, Plain and Tall is a book that was written in 1985. I received this book as a Christmas gift when I was young, and thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Several years later, when I discovered that Sarah, Plain and Tall (1991)was made into a movie, I was thrilled! The movie closely follows the book, and Glenn Close as Sarah is totally believeable.




I recently watched Sarah again. It had been quite a while since I'd seen it. I love the costumes and the setting. It feels as though one is stepping back in time, not watching a movie--it's very realistic!

While Sarah does not promote a submissive spirit, it tells a tale of one woman's fight for survival on the prairie. I'm looking forward to watching the sequels to the movie as well.

Picture of book: www.gpschools.org
Movie poster: www.amazon.com

11 comments:

Heather said...

I love the Sarah, Plain and Tall trilogy! It is one of my favorite movies. I love that they keep the same characters in all three.

Love, Heather

Cherish the Home said...

I like the trilogy too. I've always wanted to read the books.

Susan said...

Count me in for loving the movies!

Anonymous said...

I will agree that Sarah is not submissive, but I do like that movie.

Roberta said...

We LOVE this series. They are great to listen as book on tape too (I'm thinking Glenn Close is the narrator). She may be feisty but I like her spunk! :)

Tori Leslie said...

Oh I love Sarah Plain and Tall, I have seen both of the ones I know about and I love them. You'r right though, she isn't at all submissive. ;0)

Anonymous said...

My girls and I love the "Sarah Plain and Tall" trilogy. We had all three movies till I lent one of them out and it got scratched "sigh". I was devastated. I haven't gotten it replaced yet. So now all we have is the third movie. The other two came on one disk that got broken...I'm sorry...not scratched. Maybe one day we can replace it so we can see it again.

Cherish the Home said...

Another Hallmark movie I liked was called 'The Magic of Ordinary Days'. I like it because the main character, 'Livy' makes a HUGE mistake in life but tries to make the best of it and ends up happy in the end. I like it because it's real life...not fairy-tale like. The setting is WW2

Kelli said...

Oh, I love these movies!! My girls love them too. I'll have to borrow them from the library again soon. :0)
Kelli

Kim said...

Guess what our family movie was last night? Isn't that interesting that we were on the same wavelength? Okay, what's your suggestion for next Friday? lol Have you seen the other 2 Sarah movies? I love them all. In a way I see her as submissive because she deeply respects her husband more and more with each sequel. Naturally, she struggles because she is a very strong personality. Strength under control. It's a beautiful thang, I think.

Bernice said...

We just watched the movie friday night as well! I loved it! I didn't realize there were 3 movies....guess I will be on the lookout for the others!!!!