Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Teaching Children ~ A Useful Tool

When I was 18-20, I had a pre-school/Kindergarten Sunday school class. One of the ladies in the church gave me a whole stack of books like the one pictured. At the time, they were still available for purchase in the Christian bookstore, but I'm not sure if they are still being published.


I have used these books over and over again, in the various places we have been. For example--in Sunday school, junior church, vacation Bible school, while babysitting, when I taught school, and subsituting for various Sunday school and junior church teachers. These books have large pictures on one side of the page, and on the back of the picture, they have the story for the teacher to read.

Tonight Kevin and I did the children's class for a couple who is on vacation. Having these books on hand made it easy to prepare for a lesson--just grab the book and go! I'm familiar enough with the story that I can read it and look out at the children as I read, so it doesn't feel as though I'm reading it.

As I read, I try to use good expression, and really get into the story myself. The children all sat very quietly and listened--even the "big kid" 6th graders.

Materials like these are wonderful to have even if you don't teach a class every week. If you have oportunity to purchase similar stories, do, and see how God can use them through you!

P.s. I changed the name of the boy in the story to "Tommy", that way the kids who might know my husband's name don't get all goofy. *Grin*

10 comments:

Kristi said...

It's good to keep things like this on hand, I agree with you there. If you have these things available to you, then it puts yourself in a position to be used of the Lord. Good post, Tammy!

~Kristi

Anonymous said...

It is good to have this stuff on hand, but, way to toot your own horn! Humility is a good thing. You should try it some time.

Cherish the Home said...

GGrrr blogger just ate my comment!

Just wanted to say, good post! And I agree, reading with expression is much more interesting!

LOL good idea to change the name from 'Kevin' to 'Tommy. (o;

Annecourager said...

To "Anonymous" : are you possibly ashamed of your comment, that you do not choose to post your name?

Kindly take ownership of your comments, sir or madam. We must all give an account for our words eventually.

Anonymous said...

I would love to - but am not a registered blogger user. My name is evelyne troxell and I live in St. John, kansas

Kelli said...

I always enjoy hearing about useful books to help teach young children. This looks like a really cute series!
Kelli

Tori Leslie said...

Oh I wouldn't worry too much about
Mrs. evelyne troxell, there are always people in this world who feel so bad about themselves that they have to tear others down to make themselves feel good about who they are. Very sad!

Keep talking Tammy, we like to hear about you! *Ü*

Corene said...

Tammy,
My family have used those books in Mexico for children classes. I understand what you mean about knowing the story that you can give it well. That's what a good teacher does. And the children love it too. Keep up the good work.

HopiQ said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful book! I love finding those 'treasures' that children love. As I posted about myself a couple weeks ago keep on chugging! Toot! Toot!

Arlene said...

Oh, I wish those sorts of stories were still being published! I would love to have them on hand for my children's Sunday School class! Thankfully, our church orders a good curriculum that has some stories and pictures to go along with it... but, your pictures just look more fun, lol! :~)