Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A look back into history

I came across this fascinating diary, of a man named Alvin C. York, a soldier in World War I. He was a Christian, and gives God all the glory. It is a long read, but it is worth the time! Alvin York had the equivalent of a third grade education, as shown by his grammar and spelling.

For a shorter account, you can read Wikipedia's version here.

When I was little, my parents got a Christian periodical which published Alvin York's story in one of their issues. His story impressed me then, as it still does today!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh....I'd never heard of him or the story. I know Kristina will want to read that. She is a history nut and loves to read about things such as this. Thank you for sharing.

Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

There's a movie, too - "Sergeant York". Wonderful movie and family favorite.

Paula said...

"Sergeant York" is a great movie! I haven't read the biography, but it sounds very interesting.

Blessings,
Mrs. C

theups said...

I HIGHLY recommend seeing "Sergeant York" now that you've read the book!! It is a wonderful movie!!!

His,
Mrs. U

Tammy said...

I've never seen the movie--my husband would like to see it some day! I'll have to watch it with him when he watches it.

Annecourager said...

yep, see the movie, it's quite good. I understand that Gregory Peck met with Sgt. York to get to know him before dep[icting him in the movie.

Bernice said...

OHHH yes we have watched Sgt. York so many times my kids love it!!! mater of fact...it came on TV the other day & we weren't able to watch it, my daughter DVR'd it!!! Our old pastor would play it for our New Year's Eve celebration!

Terri said...

I have to repeat what the other ladies have posted - the movie is awesome! I would love to read the book, though. Thanks, Tammy!

Kim C. said...

I loved the movie! And Vision Forum sells a book about him: Sergeant York and the Great War: his own life story and war diary. Like most of the books on my shelves, I haven't read it yet, but if it's Vision Forum, it's got to be good, right?