Tuesday, July 11, 2006

It's Raining, It's Pouring!

I love a good summer rain! It has been steadily raining since late this afternoon, and it is now almost 9 p.m. I have always enjoyed rain! I know that some people feel depressed when it rains, but there is just something about rain that makes me feel all "snuggly" inside! =)

When we moved to California I was 9 years old, and it was at the beginning of a drought. The normal average rainfall for the area where we lived was 10 inches per year, so it didn't rain much for the next 5 or 6 years. I really missed my rain!

Here in Michigan, the average rainfall for our area is 35 inches per year, with an average of 71 inches of snowfall! That's a lot more rain than I was used to--it's a good thing that I like rain! (And a lot more snow than I was used to--can't say that I love the snow, but there is still an element of enjoyment there.)

Find your own average rainfall (and many other statistics) here. Tip: if you don't live in a large city, search by the nearest large city.

6 comments:

Annecourager said...

HA!! Well do I remember the 34 straight days of rain back in January. I babble about it in my blog throughout the month of January.


Now everything is so dry we'd be glad of a sprinkle or two!

Feast or famine, as they say.

Whoever "they" is.. :)

Shannon Sinclair said...

Tammy!
It is raining here over by Lansing too! I thought I was going to need to get my lifejacket! lol!

theups said...

My husband LOVES rainy days, too! I just get super sleepy when it rains. HA!! I long for blue skies, full of happy, smiling sunshine and the occasional puffy white cloud.

Thanks for the link to find out about our average rainfall- very interesting!! Average rainfall here is 42.8 inches! OH MY!!

His,
Mrs. U

Tori Leslie said...

I like the storms that sometimes come before the rains. Rain makes me sleepy so I don't really like those rainy days, well okay sometimes I guess.

I do like playing in the rain though. *Ü*

Cherish the Home said...

I like rain for a day or so but I do better with sunshine.

Thanks for the link to the rainfall, it was very interesting. (o:

Anonymous said...

I love sun. I enjoy the occasional day of rain to cool things off, but after more than 3 days of gray, I get depressed. Gray days in Jan & Feb are the worst. When spring arrives with the sun, it's like I can literally feel myself coming back to life.

I have it pretty good, though, 'cause I live in "Sunny Alberta" (Canada) and we generally get a good mix of weather.

~Lois