Friday, July 07, 2006

Tea Party

When I wrote my post about drinking tea by myself, I searched and searched the internet for a poem that I remembered from my childhood.

Today I remembered some more of the wording, and searched again. This time I was successful!



The Tea Party

I had a little tea party
This afternoon at three.
'Twas very small-
Three guests in all-
Just I, myself and me.

Myself ate all the sandwiches,
While I drank up the tea;
'Twas also I who ate the pie
And passed the cake to me.

~Jessica Nelson North


I found it at this beautiful site here.

I distinctly remember this poem being in my Mother Goose nursery rhyme book. I didn't understand it--tea wasn't really with three people if the people consisted of "I, myself, and me." I remember my mom explaining it to me, and I remember finally understanding it! When I was searching for the poem, I should have asked my mom, because she read those rhymes to me over and over again, and she still has many of them memorized--just from reading them to me! My Mother Goose book got quite the beating (unfortunately) and is no longer around.

Image from greetingcard.org

6 comments:

Butterfly Girl said...

Hey,
Just a ranodom visit, but i think i might come back. Your friends seem to be awesome too. I really like the 101 things list. I think i might do one myself. Thanks for letting me come
Ashlee

Tammy said...

Ashlee, thank you for stopping by!

Kelli said...

This is my favorite little tea poem!! My girls always giggle when I read it to them. :0)
Kelli

Tammy said...

Kelli, that is neat that your girls like it! :)

HopiQ said...

My son memorized poems this last year in kindergarten, and that was one of them. It is a very cute poem!

Anonymous said...

He, this came up in a Google search. I love this poem. I have it memorized, and it used to hang on my bedroom door. I need to reprint it and hang it up again.