Sunday, April 23, 2006

Crocheted Cross Bookmark

Tonight I did something I haven't done for a very long time...I crocheted!

The bookmark to the right was my little project for tonight. This pattern was my very first crochet project! I had learned how to crochet, but I didn't know how to follow a pattern. I was 17, and I wanted to learn so badly! At the time my mom subscribed to Country Women, and this pattern came in the spring issue. I really liked it, and the next time I went to Wal-mart, I got thread and a hook, and determined to teach myself.

My first try resulted in an eight-inch high bookmark! I was convinced it was the right size, but my mom encouraged me to try it again. The next time around, I got it closer to the correct size.

Since then, I have crocheted many different things. But I've been neglecting my poor crochet hooks lately, ever since I took up knitting. The only thing I've used my crochet hooks for as of late has been to pick up dropped stitches while I'm knitting!

I'm glad that the hooks and needles aren't animate objects, as portrayed in Mary Frances Knitting and Crochet Book! This delightful book has recently been reprinted. A while back I checked it out of the library and browsed through it. Knit and Knack, the knitting needles, and Crow Shay, the crochet hook, teach Mary Frances how to knit. It's a cute book, and I'm sure many a girl in time past learned to knit using this book.

If I really had a Crow Shay in my house, she would have been feeling quite neglected these last few months! *Grin*

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cross is really nice. You could sell those and make some money from them. You have a definite talent for knitting and crocheting. What a blessing!! Do you make afghans (sp) or throws or anything? I could imagine they are beautiful if you do.

Tammy said...

Thank you! =)

Actually, I have sold many of these cross bookmarks over the years.

I never did get into crocheting afghans. Croceted lace and doilies are called "poor man's lace" for a reason~the thread isn't that expensive!

Yarn is just so expensive. But that doesn't stop me from buying it for knitting with. LOL

Cherish the Home said...

How lovely this is! I tried to learn crocheting once....I liked it except that I kept getting caught up in 'finishing it' instead of enjoying the process. Instead of being relaxing I would get tense. Maybe I need to try again!

Thanks for showing us your lovely work.

Blessings!
~Mrs.B

Tammy said...

Oh, Mrs. B, you should try it again, and see if you can relax while crocheting! If you'd like this pattern, I'd be happy to e-mail it to you!

Carolyn said...

YOu know I once tried to crochet with thread........... I love love love this pattern..........

Sigh...........

Wonderful work Tammy!

Cherish the Home said...

I would love for you to e-mail me the pattern Tammy!

Thanks!
~Mrs.B

And if it's ok, I'm going to add you to my sidebar links. If you don't want me to, please let me know and I'll take it down.

Tammy said...

Mrs. B~ I'm working on typing up the pattern for you!

Oh, and thanks for listing me in your sidebar! I updated my links tonight and added you to mine!

Cherish the Home said...

Thanks so much!! (o:

Tammy said...

Anne! It's so nice to see that you read my blog. =) Now, when did I send you a bookmark? I can't for the life of me remember when I sent it to you!

I still haven't sent the instructions to Mrs. B~still need to finish typing it up. If you send me your e-mail address, I'll send it to you as well!