Sunday, May 21, 2006

Chili recipe

Roberta is hosting a Carnival of Recipes that are easy to double and freeze. Here's my submission:

Mike's Grandma's Chili
(I have no idea who either Mike or his grandma are...this recipe is taken from Gooseberry Patch's book Celebrate the Seasons.)

1 lb. ground beef
1 c. onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
15-oz. can kidney beans, undrained
1 qt. tomato juice
1/2 t. cumin
1 t. chili powder
1 t. oregano
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed (I usually use less sugar)

In a large soup pot, cook ground beef, onions and garlic until meat is browned and crumbly. Drain meat, return to pan, add remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 30 minutes or longer. Makes 6 1/2 cups.

This recipe makes a small amount of chili. Often, I will triple it, and we'll have the leftovers for lunch the next day, and freeze the rest. This chili freezes very well.

Very easy, nice and quick!

8 comments:

Roberta said...

Thanks Tammy! I am giggling about the name as I automatically assumed your husband must be Mike and this was his Grammy's special family chili recipe...LOL

Anonymous said...

Yum!! This sounds really good. I usually make my chili pretty simple as well...but I don't measure anything really. Just a number of cans of this and a number of cans of that and some chili powder seasoning with the ground beef. But I'm going to copy down this recipe and try this one sometime. Thanks for sharing.

Hulda said...

Hi, I have been looking through your blog, and I find a lot of nice pictueres. Lovely interiors and things you have made. :)

Anonymous said...

I've not made this particular chili, but we freeze chili all the time too. It makes for easy meals during the week. =)

Tammy said...

Roberta, that is too funny! If I remember correctly, "Mike" didn't even submit the recipe to Gooseberry Patch.

Julie, I don't do that well at just throwing things in a pot, but I admire cooks who can do so!

Hulda, Lisa gave me your blog address, and I have been enjoying your blog as well!

Rebecca, do you freeze the chili in individual portions? I do, and it makes it so much easier for lunches!

Anonymous said...

yep, we do it individually. same with lasagna. =)

Annecourager said...

Thanks for posting this. A. raves about the chili his mom used to make, and mine never really cuts the mustard, so to speak. I will give this a whirl, especially since the summer weather we were having has now subsided back into 50's and rainy.

love the pac nw!

Tammy said...

Erin, let me know how your husband likes it. Kevin REALLY likes it, I think it's because of the brown sugar. It adds a different flavor than most chilis have.