Saturday, May 20, 2006

Two Vintage Aprons

My grandma made this when she was a young college wife. She made them to sell, and for some reason, this one didn't sell. One year, she gave it to me for my birthday.

If you look at it, you can tell that it was made out of handkerchiefs. I looked at it last night, and it appears that it took four hankies to make. This must have been somewhat popular to do at the time, because I've seen hankie aprons here and there in antique stores.


Another apron that I have in my collection is a handpainted Christmas apron. I'm guessing it's from the 60's or 70's, since fabric paint was popular back then. Rebecca, my sister-in-law, was given some vintage lines, and she passed it on to me. I haven't worn it, but I did bring it out at Christmas time, and hang it on my apron hook.

I forgot about these aprons when I made my original apron post. I have quite a few aprons, hmm? And yet, I still want to make more! *Grin*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! You certainly do have alot of aprons. And here I am...I only own one...just a plain blue one. Oh well...I like it and I try to remember to use it as much as often...unfortunately..like I've said before...I keep forgetting. That is until I get something on me and by that time it is too late.

Lisa said...

I saw an apron the other day that was so clever. They had sewn a handtowel (thick, terrycloth) into the waistband! Isn't that handy? (pardon the pun). I am determined to make one.

Tammy said...

Thank you for the sweet comments. =)

Lisa, yes, I've seen aprons like that. In fact, one of my great aunts had one that she wore all the time.

Anonymous said...

How neat---I love the top apron! I wonder how exactly the hankies were put together.

I need another apron. My first one is pretty basic, I'm ready to move onto a more feminine and appealing one. Such fun! :)

Kelli said...

I just love these photos! It's amazing how many different styles of aprons exist! They're certainly not a boring item of clothing! I have a collection of paper patterns for aprons...mmm, maybe you've started something Tammy...I just might dust off my sewing machine and get to work!